Sunday, March 24, 2013

Waterford Writers Weekend

Just on the train my way back home to see my three boys after a fantastic trip to Waterford staying at the GORGEOUS Granville Hotel on the waterfront. First proper trip to this historic city (apart from it simply being a traffic glut on the way to/from Cork) and I loved it. The Book Centre - a buzzing bookshop in a converted cinema, where I read and was interviewed by internet sensation historical novelist Hazel Gaynor (The Girl Who Came Home - a wonderfully drawn and researched novel about The Tiatanic) was a great experience. A great crowd showed up and I got to read from Land of Dreams - which was really nice and its first public outing. Highlight was meeting the Book Centre's famous, discerning bookish manager Nellie (pictured with her here). In the morning I went to the Central Library - another great spot with sofas and a lovely social, welcoming vibe where my fab Auntie Sheila Smyth read along with other local writers. Loved every minute of my stay in what I am coming to believe might be the book-capital of Ireland? making me want to hit the road this Summer and check out a few more of Ireland's cities. All invites and suggestions welcome! And Waterford -  I'll be back.
Unique venues like the Book Centre need our support to keep them going.

Auntie Sheila's blog. She sold loads of books at the library after her reading because she totally rocks hilarious Irish nostalgia anecdote. Check her out.

No comments:

Post a Comment